Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 03:31:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Travel plans, routes and timetables  |  Prague, Budapest, Vienna, Zurich
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prague, Budapest, Vienna, Zurich  (Read 11339 times)
gisel1

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2012, 08:12:53 pm »

So our trip changed enough to try another routing. Thanks for being patient with us. Family of 4, we have a  20 and 17 year old. Love architecture and outdoors. Trip starts in middle of July. Start in Prague from there going to Cesky Krumlov, to Budapest, to Vienna, to Salzburg, to Innsbruck, to Lucern and fly home out of Zurich. Booked almost all hotels but need best way to take transportation, no car and we are planning on having one backpack a piece, 16 days including the flying days.
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 10:19:37 pm »

Ok, so as far as we understand 'booked almost all hotels' means that sequence of destinations are basically set. Right?

Prague-Cesky Krumlov: here nothing really changed, purchase in advance group ticket via Czech Railways eShop, all 4 Prague to Cesky Krumlov with change in C.Budejovice for 660 CZK (app. 26 EUR). Alternatively you can also catch a direct bus to Krumlov, it's like half an hour faster, but more expensive

Cesky Krumlov-Budapest: in this case you have quite a number of options: a) come back to Prague and then catch direct train to Budapest (in case you buy your tickets Prague-Budapest in advance via CD eShop, it will cost you 19 euro per passenger, but obviously in terms of geography it's not the best option; b) travel via Austria, meaning Cesky Krumlov-Ceske Velenice (281 CZK), then with Einfach-Raus-Ticket group ticket, which will get all 4 from the Czech-Austrian border (C.Velenice-Gmund) to Austria-Hungary border for just 28 EUR. Probably most convenient point to enter Hungary is Sopron, thus Gmünd NÖ-Sopron with change in Vienna can be done slightly more than 4 hours. Sopron-Budapest ticket bought in Sopron will cost you 4200 HUF per person. On the contrary cheaper and a bit faster will be to enter Hungary from Hegyshalom (3130 HUF per passenger). Or, if don't want to bother with Sopron or Hegyshalom and all the train change, than use Einfach-Raus-Ticket till Vienna, while from there just buy direct discounted tickets to Budapest for 19 euro, can be done via OeBB Ticket shop; c) another option is avoid coming back to Prague, but taking route from Cesky Krumlov via C.Budejovice to Brno (described in your previous topic), while from Brno one of the transit Prague-Budapest trains

Budapest-Vienna: simple and cheap way is just to purchase in advance discounted one-way ticket via MAV website (13 euro per person), recently we created a tutorial on how to buy such tickets - http://europetrainsguide.com/Advice/How-to-Buy-Train-Tickets/Hungary-MAV.html

Vienna-Salzburg: a) if you have a bit of extra time and ok with few train changes, then just get Einfach-Raus-Ticket, will allow all four to travel for only 28 euro in total; b) in case you up to a faster journey and ready to pay more, then you can buy either discounted 19 euro ticket from OeBB domestic Ticket shop or use WestBahn, good option even without in advance purchase.

Salzburg-Innsbruck: basically same as above options, meaning either Einfach-Raus-Ticket (a bit more than 4 hours and 1 change) or discounted domestic Sparschiene from 9 euro bought via OeBB ticket shop

Innsbruck-Luzern: easy, but expensive option, just to buy discounted international ticket via OeBB website (from 39 euro per passenger), while more complicated, but cheaper option is to buy first Innsbruck-Buchs (SG) discounted tickets (from 9 euro per person) and then on SBB website SuperSaver tickets Buchs(SG)-Luzern (from 20,8 CHF per person)

Luzern-Zurich: again SBB SuperSaver tickets probably your best option
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
gisel1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 05:09:11 pm »

Thank you for your reply. The one question I have is your statement about the sequence of hotels. If we move Cesky Krumlov in betwwen Vienna and Salzburg would that be cheaper and less time consuming on trains? The route seems smarter, don't really know why we went the other way - I am able to shift all hotels by the time needed if you believe this to be a better option. We are open to suggestions. It would be Prague, Budapest, Vienna, Cesky Krumlov, Salzburg, Innsbruck, Lucerne and Zurich if we changed.  Thank you for your time - it is much appreciated.
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 10:18:14 pm »

If we move Cesky Krumlov in betwwen Vienna and Salzburg would that be cheaper and less time consuming on trains?
You read our mind  ;D Thought about it as well
In terms of financial side doing Cesky Krumlov between Vienna and Salzburg probably won't be essentially different from the Prague-Cesky Krumlov-Budapest-Vienna-Salzburg plan, but in terms of logistics and travel time probably better to squeeze Cesky Krumlov between Vienna and Salzburg, mainly because you avoid a bit tricky and potentially long journey C.Krumlov-Budapest (no matter whether via Prague or Austria)

If you do change itinerary a bit, then: Prague-Budapest (discounted 19 euro ticket and fast direct train without changes), Budapest-Vienna (as described in previous post), Vienna-Gmünd NÖ with Einfach-Raus-Ticket + Ceske Velenice-Cesky Krumlov with bought from CD eShop domestic ticket (in total roughly four and a half hours for the whole trip to Cesky Krumlov + two change in Ceske Velenice and Ceske Budejovice), Cesky Krumlov-Salzburg - same trick as with Vienna-C.Krumlov, but opposite way (meaning domestic ticket till Horni Dvoriste (last station before Austrian border) + Einfach-Raus-Ticket from there to Salzburg, roughly from 5 to 6 hours depending on connection)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
gisel1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 11:11:33 pm »

ok, I'm completely lost on part of the booking from Prague to Budapest. We usually book cars during our travel so this is so new to us. Do we need to pay for seats? If we get on the train at 9:45 a.m., would the train be that packed to not pay the extra for a reserved seat or are we going to be all over the train? This same question goes for each of the legs of our trip if the same prompt comes up.  :-\
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 11:37:19 pm »

Do we need to pay for seats?
On all the connections from Prague to Budapest seat reservation is not compulsory, so it's not necessary to buy additional seat reservations. Also in case you buy discounted 19 euro tickets, then seat reservation is already included in the price, so nothing to worry there ;)
would the train be that packed to not pay the extra for a reserved seat or are we going to be all over the train?
Most of the people don't pay extra for buying seat reservation on such connection. Maybe on segment between Prague and Brno train might be a bit full, but after Brno doubt it will be even half full.
This same question goes for each of the legs of our trip if the same prompt comes up.
Well, if you go with discounted tickets, then almost always seat reservation is already included in the price. While if to speak about general train occupancy, then from our experience maybe on morning trains from Budapest to Vienna there might be a bit busy, as well as certain departures of InterCity and WestBahn for Vienna-Salzburg, although with regional trains (in case you go with Einfach-Raus-Ticket), it's not even possible to purchase seat reservation, so any free seat is yours and trains are rarely full. After Salzburg also doubt you will have any trouble with seats at all, it's not very populated regions. Obviously all of the above concerns usual situation, since if there might be any big event (concert, festival etc.) going on somewhere on your route, then it is possible to see a bit crowded trains.
gisel1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 05:01:52 am »

Just successfully purchased MAV tickets, so proud of ourselves. Now from Vienna to Cesky Krumlov. I presume I am to go backward with your instructions. Go to OBB and pick- Einfach-Raus-ticket - Vienna to C. Velenice to Cesky Krumlov. Do I use same rail to then head onto Salzburg? Thank you for helping us make this vacation a success - so much to do but we know it will be exciting.
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 01:55:50 pm »

I presume I am to go backward with your instructions. Go to OBB and pick- Einfach-Raus-ticket - Vienna to C.Velenice to Cesky Krumlov.
Yes, Einfach-Raus-ticket will get you from Vienna to Austria-Czech Republic border, just remember that direct trains to C.Velenice depart from a minor Vienna train station - Franz-Josefs-Bahnhof. While for the Czech part of the journey (from Velenice to Cesky Krumlov) you can either just buy your ticket online from CD eShop or visit ticket counter in Ceske Velenice and buy the ticket there (will be slightly more expensive)
Do I use same rail to then head onto Salzburg?
Not exactly, when going to Salzburg you'll travel via Rybnik-Horni Dvoriste-Summerau instead of C.Velenice-Gmund. You can see it on the Czech rail network map
Thank you for helping us make this vacation a success
We always glad to help fellow travelers ;)
gisel1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 08:51:22 pm »

I wish I knew more languages. trying to book Vienna to Cesky Krumlov via Velenice as suggested, but having a dickens of a time with Einfrach-Raus-ticket. I do not know German, all our computers will not translate this part, hey I made it through the MAV system, but not this. It keeps telling me I can't book.  I do see it online when I just go to the look section, but says I can't book. Is it the same price if I book the ticket the morning of trip in Austria. Don't want to book the eshop ticket portion unless I know I can get the other part on time. Says I have to book the leg in Austria going to Salzburg from CK also. Is there a tutorial like the MAV or have I just made it harder.
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 09:37:27 pm »

Is it the same price if I book the ticket the morning of trip in Austria.
Yep, unlike German group passes, price of Austrian Einfach-Raus Ticket doesn't depend on whether you purchase it online or at the station (ticket machine/ticket counter). So just don't trouble yourself with in advance online purchase and buy it when already in Austria, you won't have any trouble and will get it 100%. Simply no need to go through German language interface of OeBB website now, when you can easily omit the hassle with purchase in Austria.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines