Step by step Guide to Buying Tickets via Hungarian Railways (MAV) website
It has been a while since MAV introduced a possibility to purchase international (and domestic) tickets (including discounted SparDay, SparNight, Fortuna etc.) online via MAV official website, though until quite recently interface was in Hungarian. Now finally it was translated, but we still decided to share with fellow travelers a step by step guide designed to help you purchase discounted (and other) tickets from Budapest to Vienna, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw and many other beatiful European destinations.
1) Open MAV timetable page, then enter destinations you need and travel date, push 'Timetable' button -->
2) Fill in 'Journey' and 'Passengers' information (type of seat/sleeper, number of passengers and passengers dates of birth), push 'Ticket and Prices' button -->
3) Next you will be redirected to a page where you can choose 'Fare' and 'Connection', to do so click on 'futher information'(will appear on the right next to the price(s) offered) and then, after a new small window appears click 'open' (below price), make your choice and push 'Add Ticket to the Cart' button -->
4) Now you will be redirected to the 'Sign-In' page -->
In case you didn't register on MAV website earlier, then push 'Registration' button, registration is easy and fast (though you'll validate your account by clicking on a link sent to you by email).
4a) Once you click on 'Registration', box like this will appear-->
First (a) enter your email, then (b) password (at least 6 characters), repeat the password and click 'Registration' button
If you really want to read all that text, then use google translate. If not - just tick box 'I accept Terms and Conditions of Use' and click orange button 'Next'
4c) Further you'll see 'Pricacy Policy' page -->
5) But coming back to ticket purchase.After a successful log-in you will see 'Order details' page: a) check Dep./Arr. Station, Time, Date; b) check Ticket fare (it will be in EUR and HUF according to todays exchange rate) c) tick the box near 'I confirm that I don not need an invoice'(if you do, then you'll just need to fill out some additional info in a new page) and push 'Bank payment' button -->
NB. There is a limited amount of time given for the above, so watch out for the time left (on your upper right corner). Also remember that home printing of MAV international tickets is not possible. International tickets booked online must be collected at one of the e-Ticket machines located at 40 railways stations in Hungary before your journey
6) And finally you will be redirected to OTP Bank web-page (OTP Direct), where you can make the payment -->
a) again check the sum you are about to pay; b) from a drop down list choose a bank card type (Visa, MasterCard etc.); c) fill in 'bank name' d) fill in 'card holder's name' (as written on the card); e) 'bank card number' (though there is 5 boxes for up to 20 digits, but since most of the cards have 16 digit number you just need to fill in first 4 boxes and leave the last box blank); f) card validity date (month/year); g) card CVV code (can be found on the back of the card) and h) push 'Start' payment button
7) Hope everything went ok with bank operation and you've received a 10 digit code using which you can print your ticket via MAV ticket machines (located at all the major Hungarian stations).Last 20 seconds of the 'Ticket Video' (Jegyvásárlás video) shows you how to handle MAV ticket machine and receive your ticket. Good luck :)