Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:32:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Global Price/Globalpreis Tariff
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Global Price/Globalpreis Tariff  (Read 8153 times)
filu

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2012, 08:52:10 pm »

What does the "GLOBAL PRICE" really mean ??

Is it better or worse than non-global-priced train?

I'd like to find a definite answer for that ...

As far as I understand it means that it is possible to get an extra price, that is cheaper that it would result from the standard fare (internal/international), but it does not prevent me from boarding this train with an ordinary ticket (+ reservation if necessary).

Filip.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 09:39:42 pm by tUt » Logged
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 10:23:38 pm »

'Global price' is a generative term used for any SCIC-IRT ticket, while SCIC-IRT=Special Conditions of International Carriage for Integrated-Reservation Tickets. What does that mean? Key term here is 'integrated', meaning that there is a uniform fare combining actual ticket fare, seat/bed reservation and any potential surcharge (-->all in one, printed on a single ticket sheet) and it is calculated not on the bases of usual tariff tables, but per each connection per each segment, so it doesn't strictly depend on #km per route. While SCIC-NRT (previously known as TCV) on the contrary is based on tariff tables (#km/fare) + seat/bed reservation, as well as any surcharge, is a separate things here, which can be bought additionally in case necessary

Global price is usually not a good thing, exactly because such tickets are issued for a specific train with compulsory reservation, so you can use SCIC-IRT ticket only on that specific train and date --> restraining flexibility, while SCIC-NRT (=non-integrated) are flexible and not tied to any specific train, so you can just buy one through ticket and make stopovers along the way, choose any train you want etc. Another disadvantage of Global price (SCIC-IRT) is sort of hidden price increase, since per each segment of your route you need a new ticket, while with SCIC-NRT you can fully enjoy regressive nature of tariff and have a through ticket. Meaning that for instance 3 separate short distance route global price tickets (A to B, B to C and C to D) are obviously will be more expensive than one through SCIC-NRT (A-D via B and C). Clearly SCIC-IRT is more preferable for rail companies, since it allows more control. SNCF, FS or RENFE just make a compulsory reservation for all the long-distance high-speed trains and more or less restrict passengers capabilities to maneuvre. Then on trains for which SCIC-IRT is used rail companies in addition restrict use of any other tickets (besides a few exceptions, like Interrail or Eurail passes), thus forcing passengers use global price.

Maybe as a sort of general example you can take a look at conditions applied for BWE and 'Jan Kiepura', for both SCIC-IRT is used, it might give you a better understanding on how it works in practice
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
filu

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 05:36:00 pm »

That's funny ...

For BWE/BGE:

Podróżnym zamierzającym skorzystać z przejazdu pociągami BWE lub BGE, sprzedaje się bilety:
na PKP:
- wg oferty „Berlin-Warszawa/Gdynia-Express”,
- na przewóz roweru – tylko w pociągach “Berlin-Warszawa-Express”,
- wg oferty specjalnej “Berlin-Warszawa/Gdynia-Specjal.”,
na DB:
- wg opłat NRT,
- na przewóz roweru – tylko w pociągach “Berlin-Warszawa-Express”,
- wg oferty specjalnej “Europa-Spezial Polen”.

That means if I buy the ticket at PKP i pay according to "Berlin-Warszawa/Gdynia-Express" price, whereas by doing so with DB i pay the NRT !!

Same for the EN 'Jan Kiepura' (NRT at DB, 'Jan Kiepura' tariff with NS or PKP).

Moreover... (for BWE/BGE, but not for Kiepura)

jeśli z biletem na przejazd (np. z opłatą NRT, lub z innym, np.: InterRail, Eurail Germany–Poland Pass) wystawiany
jest jednocześnie dokument rezerwacyjny odpowiednio na pociąg BWE lub BGE, to opłata za zarezerwowanie
miejsca do siedzenia wynosi „0,00” €.

...which means if I buy the NRT ticket for this train with DB I get the reservation free of charge (as long as I buy it at the same moment as the ticket [even interrail/eurail !!]).

Nice to know, but unfortunately one needs to know many specific rules instead of a common standard one...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 05:37:36 pm by filu » Logged
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 12:36:04 am »

That means if I buy the ticket at PKP i pay according to "Berlin-Warszawa/Gdynia-Express" price, whereas by doing so with DB i pay the NRT
Well, yep, it's a bit unique situation, but the trick is that here polish IRT (=global price) is actually cheaper than NRT, while usually it's vice versa  :D
Nice to know, but unfortunately one needs to know many specific rules instead of a common standard one...
Nothing rail travelers can do here, it's probably SNCF and FS to blame for wanting more money and 'inventing' anti-swiss/german system with all those global price. So now anybody starting a new high-speed or just fancy train service is being tempted to use IRT, even companies like RZD recently year by year increase a number of routes for which global price tariffs are used
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines