Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:15:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Travel plans, routes and timetables  |  Italy-Innsbruck and back
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Italy-Innsbruck and back  (Read 8226 times)
DN

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2012, 10:17:41 pm »

I am planning to travel from Florence to Innsbruck at 26/6 and return from Innsbruck to Bergamo at 1/7. Fixed dates. Trenitalia site doesn't seem to work for this route! (I do have results for Florence to Verona for example). Is it a good idea to break the ticket and book Florence-Verona with Trenitalia (38 euros, 2 adults) and then Verona-Innsbruck and back with OBB (136 euros, 2 adults - do I need a seat reservation?), and then buy at the station a ticket for 'regionale' Verona-Bergamo? I also found a site called 'raileurope.com' but when I followed the procedure to book the tickets, I saw that they only mail the ticket. At the FAQ of the site they only mention the shipping expenses for USA, Canada and Mexico (I live in Greece). Does it work for me? Can I trust it?
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 11:57:59 pm »

Trenitalia site doesn't seem to work for this route
Well, it does, but offers only full fare tickets which are kind of expensive, so might be better, as you mentioned, to do a 'break' via Verona. Then you have a chance to buy two discounted tickets (19 euro each), while next just buy discounted one-way 'EUROPA 1' tickets:

For return leg (Innsbruck-Verona) you also can buy 'EUROPA 1' via TrenItalia or same discounted tickets, but from OeBB website. As result you pay 58*2 for Verona-Inn.-Verona. Although remember that both 'MINI' offer 19 euro discounted tickets (Florence-Verona) as well as 'EUROPA 1' Verona-Innsbruck are not exchangeable or refundable, because both are promo offers sold in limited number per train.
For Verona-Bergamo it does make sense not to book anything in advance, but just use regional trains and thus pay only 9-10 euro without any ticket prepurchase

I also found a site called 'raileurope.com' ... Does it work for me? Can I trust it?
This is an agency, which basically re-sells rail tickets with own commission, so try to avoid such middle-man, both in order not to overpay (especially when same ticket can be bought from official rail company website) and stay on a safe side (--> not deal with a agency website)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
DN

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 09:08:17 pm »

Sorry for replying so late. What is a 'europa1' ticket? Verona-Innsbruck at trenitalia 58 euro with 'europa1' instead of 76,80 euro with 'adult/standard'. Can everybody buy a europa1 ticket?
DN

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 09:43:28 pm »

I am looking for info about EUROPA1 ticket at trenitalia site but I cannot find anything.
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 09:48:49 pm »

What is a 'europa1' ticket?
"EUROPA 1" is seems to be just the other word for Italian 'SMART' prices --> discounted promo ticket offer, a limited amount of which are sold per each departure. It's like 9 or 19 euro tickets for Athens-Thessaloniki trains, a small number of discounted tickets which are sold with certain restrictions (like use on specific date and train, nonrefundable/nonexchangeable etc.). But just to make sure you can email directly to TrenItalia and ask about it, they should confirm, since it doesn't look like anything else besides Smart prices
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
DN

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 10:18:03 pm »

I will try to contact them just to be sure. Thank's a lot. You were very helpfull.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines