Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 10:51:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Travel plans, routes and timetables  |  Using MAV from Budapest to Salzburg
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Using MAV from Budapest to Salzburg  (Read 7389 times)
lilyiann

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2012, 05:48:44 pm »

Hi!

I'm having problems booking a train from Budapest to Salzburg on Mav. I'm trying to get the EuroNight 466 that leaves Budapest at 19:10 and arrives at Salzburg at 01:26. The train shows up on the timetable on MAV, but when I click buy ticket, only one train shows up (even though there are tens of trains going that route everyday). I've attached a screenshot. Please advise!

Thanks.
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 12:44:05 am »

Well, the problem here is that 19:10 option it is just 3 carriages Budapest-Zurich designed for travelers to Switzerland, so MAV doesn't sell discounted Spar tickets for them till Salzburg, but only till Swiss stations. Nevertheless, you have a few solutions instead:
a) just buy Budapest-Zurich ticket instead of Budapest-Salzburg, then get off train in Salzburg (nobody forbids you to do so). Sounds strange, but it is totally possible option

As you can see, seating carriage will cost 10 extra euro (39 instead of 29 with EN 462), while couchette is the same - 49 euro
b) buy return ticket Budapest-Salzburg-Budapest (return part just won't be used by you) for 39 euro, it won't be Spar, so it's possible to buy on MAV website. Although same thing for the same 39 euro can be bought at the station in Budapest, so there is no real need to buy it online.

c) use earlier RailJet train (dep. Budapest 17:10), it goes directly to Salzburg (arr.22:59), though it makes sense to buy two separate tickets for it, first 13 euro discounted on MAV website till Vienna, while then Austrian domestic Spar ticket Vienna-Salzburg for the same train (for 19 euro) on OeBB website Ticket Shop, as result you'll pay 32 euro instead of 39
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
lilyiann

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 06:36:22 am »

Wow, thank you SO much tUt! This has been super helpful.

Another quick question -- I was actually looking to transfer to a train from Salzburg - Venice that same night.
However, the transfer is 01:26 -- 01:34, literally 8 minutes long. Do you think that's sufficient? Are they on the same platform usually? I realize that Salzburg is currently undergoing some construction.

Thanks!
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 02:29:24 pm »

Do you think that's sufficient? Are they on the same platform usually?
In Austria 8 min. is usually enough, plus Salzburg station isn't that big (although not sure about exact platforms in this case). But since EN 237 anyway starts from Vienna, it maybe a better idea just to catch it in Vienna, thus avoid any hassle with speedy change and dealing with tickets Budapest-Salzburg. Instead just buy 13 euro ticket Budapest-Vienna for RailJet #42 and then discounted for Vienna-Salzburg-Venice EN 237.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
lilyiann

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:33:33 am »

Wow that's such a good suggestion! Don't know why that option didn't show up on the bahn site. Thanks again!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines