Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:10:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Budapest to Vienna, to Salzburg, to Zurich
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Budapest to Vienna, to Salzburg, to Zurich  (Read 5998 times)
karin

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2012, 02:50:39 am »

We want to travel from Budapest to Vienna on August 9 then From Vienna to Salzburg on August 11 and from Salzburg to Zurich on August 13.  Can I buy a ticket from Budapest to Zurich and have two interruptions or do I need to buy individual tickets for each "leg"? That means I buy Budapest Vienna from MAV and the other 2 from Austrian train service?

Thank you, Karin
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 05:36:52 pm »

Can I buy a ticket from Budapest to Zurich and have two interruptions or do I need to buy individual tickets for each "leg"?
Yes, you can buy one through ticket. But it might be not the best idea, since the ticket allowing stopovers will be rather expensive (should be 124 euro, because it will be issued using full international fare. While if you do buy three separate tickets, you have a chance to use discounted ones, thus pay only 13 euro for Budapest-Vienna leg, 19 euro for Vienna-Salzburg and 29 euro for Salzburg-Zurich, making it 61 euro for the same itinerary
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
karin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 06:56:15 pm »

Thank you so much for all your help. That makes so much sense. I did buy the Budapest Vienna ticket and could not have done it without your help (online guide). Two more to go. Thanks again, Karin
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 07:36:34 pm »

Just to remind you that for the leg Vienna-Salzburg you don't necessarily need to use OeBB (Austrian Railways) and purchase in advance your ticket (for national connections OeBB domestic tickets eShop), since instead it is possible to travel with WestBahn, they charge few euro more (meaning full fare WestBahn ticket is only slightly more expensive than discounted Spar tickets sold by OeBB), but you can buy the ticket even on board of a train.

Also our short guide on how to deal with purchasing OeBB international tickets - http://europetrainsguide.com/Advice/How-to-Buy-Train-Tickets/Austria-OeBB.html
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines