Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:07:46 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Subject of price on Warsaw-Vilnius train
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Subject of price on Warsaw-Vilnius train  (Read 6891 times)
Mafiafarm

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2013, 09:41:35 pm »

Good day. :) I am fairly new to these types of forums, but judging from my situation i can see i have alot of travelling to do so...

This is my current problem though.

I am traveling from Budapest to Vilnius via Warsaw.I arrive to Warszawa Centralna at 7:05 and I am lead to believe there is a train leaving at 7:20 from there.A bigger problem is that i couldn't find, or either, couldn't be sure of the discounts offered in Poland.

I am a 20 year-old student travelling back home.Does this entitle me to something?I have seen various discounts, but they all differ and don't know which i can trust.I am going to buy it on the spot at the station with no reservations.Am I entitled to a 50 percent discount?or something less?In lithuania students have 50 percent off in travelling, so if there is no discounts in Warsaw i can buy another ticket at Sestokai?Any help you might give me in this matter is greatly appreciated :)
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 12:23:31 am »

A bigger problem is that i couldn't find, or either, couldn't be sure of the discounts offered in Poland... I have seen various discounts, but they all differ and don't know which i can trust.
Well, here we have two separate questions to answer: a) question regarding discounts in case of international ticket Poland-Lithuania and b) question regarding purely domestic journeys within Poland. In case of international ticket neither ISIC, nor your age will give you any discount, because ticket (like Warsaw-Kaunas/Vilnius) will be already discounted (50% off Polish part and 55% on Lithuanian) from the standard tariff, it is offer which is used to be called "Vilnius/Warszawa Specjal". To put it in numbers, if we take 2nd class ticket Warsaw-Kaunas, Polish part will be 14 euro, while Lithuanian - 7,56 euro, thus making it in total 21,56 euro for international ticket Warsaw-Kaunas bought in Poland (or Lithuania). With question "b" --> if we speak about discounts for domestic journeys in Poland, like Warsaw-Trakiszki (last Polish station before Lithuania), then there is a different story. Official student discount (51%) here is given only for students studying in Polish universities or Polish citizens studying abroad, so from the first look you aren't eligible, although our Polish colleague filu brought examples when this rule wasn't really obeyed thoroughly (http://europetrainsguide.com/forum/index.php/topic,331.msg1253.html#msg1253), thus even non-polish students had a chance to benefit from rather essential 51% discount. Obviously it's a bit risky to ask for the ticket with discount, but officially not be eligible for such, however it might still work out fine. 
I am a 20 year-old student travelling back home.Does this entitle me to something?
Besides 51% student discount (as explained above), for journeys within Poland there is also so called youth discount (37%), but again, to our knowledge, it also concerns only Polish citizens or those who attend school in Poland. As result once again, by age limit you ok, but trouble is with "polishness" factor
In lithuania students have 50 percent off in travelling
It's a bit tricky discount, because officially (and note about it can be found in almost any LG ticket counter) such student discount is given only to EU citizens studying in EU universities
...so if there is no discounts in Warsaw i can buy another ticket at Sestokai?
Thing here is that full fare domestic PKP ticket Warsaw-Trakiszki costs 62 PLN (app.15 euro), so if you take into consideration potential 51% discount, then definitely it makes sense to buy three different tickets - PKP domestic Warsaw-Trakiszki for 30 PLN, then short cross-border Trakiszki-Sestokai (3,1 euro) and finally LG domestic Sestokai-Kaunas (or further) with student discount. First two in Warsaw (or on board of the train), while third one already in Sestokai during train change. But if to disregard potential discount for Warsaw-Trakiszki ticket, then obviously "ticket break" via border won't be as money saving
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Mafiafarm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 12:49:13 am »

Ohh, so even now it is 21 euro?I was looking though various channels and it always showed the full price, so even though i saw that special discount i thought it was non-existent because it didn't show up.
Paying 40 euro would have been a bit too much for me, but if you say it costs 21 euros from Warsaw to Kaunas only then this is exactly what i was looking for.
So if i buy this ticket in Warsaw central station that will be the price?~21 euro?I think this is very good indeed.
If I'm mistaken please write me, if not then thank you for the help. :)
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 11:19:24 am »

So if i buy this ticket in Warsaw central station that will be the price?~21 euro?
Yep, this will be the price, though since you'll pay in Polsih zloty makes sense to account slight exchange rate fluctuations (EUR-->PLN), final fare in PLN might differ a bit depending on that. However it hardly will cross the 90 PLN mark (unless something dramatic will happen to zloty any time soon)

p.s. you've said that you traveling from Budapest to Warsaw before that, but what's your choice there? Since if you don't plan/can't use SparNight discounted ticket, then it might make sense to consider the whole route Budapest-Warsaw-Lithuania from the very beginning
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Mafiafarm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 12:20:46 pm »

I am using a discounted ticket as a student returning home from studying, which qualifies me 50 percent off and costs only 29 euros :) therefore it is a cheap and effective sparnight train.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines