Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:13:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Travel plans, routes and timetables  |  Thessaloniki-Gyor(Hungary)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thessaloniki-Gyor(Hungary)  (Read 8853 times)
VANG

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2010, 10:18:26 pm »

I would like to travel from Thessaloniki,Greece to Gyor in Hungary and i have some questions.
First of all,which is the itinerary i should follow?Secondly,are the trip generally safe?
How much the ticket costs and is it a good idea to break the itinerary in order to get cheaper prices?
Thanks.
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 12:06:42 am »

First of all, take a look at this post - http://europetrainsguide.com/forum/index.php/topic,39.msg130.html#msg130

As you can see, there are two daily trains from Thessaloniki to Belgrade - at 5:57 (arrives to Belgrade at 18:06) and 17:05 (at Belgrade - 5:59). During summer with the train departing 17:05 runs direct carriages to Budapest, so you can actually travel with no changes all the way to Budapest, but you can as well change in Belgrade. At 7:20 from Belgrade departs train to Prague (IC 345) via Budapest (there at 14:55), other train (#342) departs Belgrade at 10:00, arrives to Budapest at 18:04 and overnight train Belgrade-Budapest 21:25-5:04. Budapest-Gyor is easy, trains runs really often

In terms of tickets, it is better to break your tickets via Belgrade. One way Thessaloniki-Belgrade ticket costs around 30 euro, one way Belgrade-Budapest purchased in Belgrade cost 15 euro. Both tickets are regular fare, so you can buy those any time, no limits on the amount of tickets sold. Domestic Hungarian ticket Budapest-Gyor cost from 2480 HUF (around 9 euro)   

In terms of safety usually you will not need to worry, but it is better to use couchette or sleeper on the route from Thessaloniki to Belgrade, just in case  ;)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
VANG

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 12:23:57 am »

Many thanks for the quick reply!:)If i get the evening train from Thess to Budapest,will i have time at the Belgrade railway station to buy a ticket for Budapest?
Or a good idea is to buy a Railplus card here in Thess and then buy the ticket(return ticket_Thess-Budapest?

tUt
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 12:40:46 am »

As you can see, overnight train from Thessaloniki to Belgrade arrives to Belgrade at 5:59, then carriages to Budapest get reattached to the same train 345, which departs Belgrade at 7:20, so you'll have almost hour and a half to buy your next ticket. Just make sure to buy Thessaloniki-Budapest sleeper reservation in advance, so you will not need to change seat in Belgrade.
Sometimes train from Thessaloniki arrives late, but IC 345 usually waits for carriages to Budapest and Prague, but even if you will be late for 7:20 IC 345 train, then you can always use 10am train (runs everyday during summer)

Purchase of Railplus card makes sense only if you plan to travel a lot during next year (card is valid for one year), and, yes, you can definitely use it when buying tickets Thessaloniki-Belgrade etc. But in case you plan to travel there and back you might consider Balkan flexi pass, it will be valid all the way from Thessaloniki till Serbia-Hungary border (Subotica). 5 day pass valid during one month can be a good option here.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
VANG

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 12:55:01 am »

So,for you,which is the cheapest way?To buy a Balkan flexiplass and then buy a Belgrade-Budapest return ticket?
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 10:30:49 am »

No need for Belgrade-Budapest return, in case of purchase of Balkan Flexi Pass you will need only Subotica-Budapest return (16 euro), it can be purchased in Belgrade, so you won't need to get off/on in Subotica

But let us count whether you need Balkan Flexi Pass. 5 day pass cost 51 euro for <26, 86 euro for 26>59< and 69 euro for >60. As we already noted regular Thess-Belgrade ticket cost app. 30 euro, return around 60 (potential RailPlus card discount gives -25%) + 26 euro for Belgrade-Budapest return (since it is already special offer, then probably RailPlus card will not give a discount on Belgrade-Budapest ticket), so in total regular fare Thess-Belgrade-Budapest return - 86 euro at maximum. Means Balkan flexi pass makes sense only if you 26< or >60 years old or plan to make additional travels in Balkan countries. 
VANG

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 11:07:49 am »

Thanks again! ;)
So the Balkan Flexiplass is not worth for my occassion as i am over 26 years old...
Therefore,i think i will purchase the Railplus card which costs 25euros(if i am not mistaken) and buy the tickets thess-belgrade and return as well as belgrade-Budapest return...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines