Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:43:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Travel plans, routes and timetables  |  Warsaw-Krakow-Kosice (via Zakopane) -Budapest-Bratislava-Salzburg-Ljubljana
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warsaw-Krakow-Kosice (via Zakopane) -Budapest-Bratislava-Salzburg-Ljubljana  (Read 9404 times)
SEL

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2015, 04:11:02 pm »

After much additional research and your invaluable help on my previous thread I have finalized the above itinerary.  The first and last points are fixed.
We have decided that the best way to see the Tetra region (northern & southern) is to hire a car. To avoid high one way charges (if in fact I can get such a deal) we have decided that we will take bus/train transport direct to Kosice and hire from the airport there.  I tried to work out a system using the generous validity of Slovakian train tickets and detailed timetables but in the end it seemed easier to hire a car – also bearing in mind the number of daylight hours and possible weather conditions.
I think Warsaw to Krakow is straightforward – buy online 30days before for best discounted ticket (ie until they run out).  As the EIP trains are new, do they have wifi in both 2nd & 1st class and if I can get the cheapest fares is it worthwhile travelling 1st ?
Krakow through to Budapest is already covered. 20euro single (17.50 if I buy rtn?) at Kosice ticket office on the day.
Budapest – Bratislava.  Should I buy on the day in Budapest (rtn cheaper?) or is there an even cheaper fare all the way to Salzburg?
Hoping on a short stopover in Bratislava en route to Salzburg – depending on ticketing available.
Salzburg-Ljubljana via Villach.  Salzburg-Villach was already discussed as discounted tickets, 9euro online?  Not sure how far in advance. Is it still relevant given the changed itinerary?
Thank you once again your help.
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 11:02:47 am »

To avoid high one way charges (if in fact I can get such a deal) we have decided that we will take bus/train transport direct to Kosice and hire from the airport there.
Yep, car rent might be a good choice in regions where you have plenty of destinations to see, but most of them take just couple hours in terms of sightseeing. However remains the question - how you will get from Krakow to Kosice? Already for many years there is no direct train + didn't hear anything about any new regular bus connection either (only rather expensive shuttle service by TigerExpress)
I think Warsaw to Krakow is straightforward – buy online 30days before for best discounted ticket (ie until they run out).
Yes, if you sure about the date & time, then in advance purchase of Super Promo tickets is your best choice (sold as early as 30 days in advance, but not less than 15, unless sold out earlier). But if you didn't get cheap ticket in advance it's a not a huge problem, because even on the day of the journey it's possible to travel relatively cheap using less fancy train.
As the EIP trains are new, do they have wifi in both 2nd & 1st class and if I can get the cheapest fares is it worthwhile travelling 1st ?
Yes, Express InterCity Premium are new Alstom sort of high-speed trains. PKP promised to introduce wi-fi on all of them during the first half of this year (obviously for both classes), but to be honest don't know whether this goal is achieved in full or not yet. What concerns 1st vs. 2nd class... well, the difference in terms of seating is more or less standard (1+2 vs. 2+2). In any case might be useful also to take a look at EIP trains seating scheme

Krakow through to Budapest is already covered. 20euro single (17.50 if I buy rtn?) at Kosice ticket office on the day.
Kosice to Budapest using direct trains (via Miskolc) is 20 euro no matter when you purchase, 17,5 it's Budapest to Bratislava. Both are return, but it's cheaper than one-way because of the 60% discount on return tickets between Hungary and Slovakia
Budapest – Bratislava.  Should I buy on the day in Budapest (rtn cheaper?) or is there an even cheaper fare all the way to Salzburg?
Well, with Budapest to Bratislava there is nothing to worry about (17,5 euro no matter when you buy it). With Budapest to Salzburg directly it's possible to get discounted ticket for as low as 29 euro (or 39 euro for so-called "Trip Ticket", which can't be sold out, thus you can purchase it already in Budapest and don't bother with any in advance purchases)

Hoping on a short stopover in Bratislava en route to Salzburg – depending on ticketing available.
With the visit to Bratislava you have couple options:
a) as described above: Kosice to Budapest (20 euro) + Budapest to Bratislava (17,5 euro, unless you ready for some small tricks) + Bratislava to Salzburg (23 euro) with bought in advance discounted OeBB domestic ticket. Total will be 60,5 euro
b) Kosice to Bratislava (RegioJet from 9 euro), Bratislava-Budapest (again 17,5 euro or slightly less with tricks) and Budapest to Salzburg (29 euro with in advance purchased discounted ticket or 39 euro in all other cases). Total will be 55,5 or 65,5

Salzburg-Ljubljana via Villach.  Salzburg-Villach was already discussed as discounted tickets, 9euro online?  Not sure how far in advance. Is it still relevant given the changed itinerary?
Well, the opposite direction you don't have an option of very cheap one-way Villach to Ljubljana ticket (which is offered by Slovenians if you go Ljubljana to Villach), so perhaps with Salzburg to Ljubljana it makes sense to go with international discounted ticket, which starts from 29 euro and, just as 9 euro domestic Salzburg-Villach, can be easily purchase via Austrian Railways (OeBB) website
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:05:43 am by tUt » Logged
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines