Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:45:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Travel plans, routes and timetables  |  Budapest to Krakow via overnight train
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Budapest to Krakow via overnight train  (Read 9290 times)
cykler

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2010, 05:34:16 am »

All,

I will be traveling from Budapest Keleti to Krakow Glowny via overnight train on September 7. From review of bahh.de, raileurope.com and related, there is a direct connect departing at 19:58 and arriving at 6:24. I want to have a shared sleeper compartment.

Rail Europe offers their ticket for $172US (including reservation). I know if I purchase ahead of time from the States that I’ll be paying more money and so forth.

Will the same ticket be available a couple days before in Budapest?  If so, does anyone know the estimated cost and/or price difference?  I'd prefer to have the ticket purchased prior to travel.  Also, this is the only time allotted to travel given my schedule (ei - I have to make that time).

Thank you all and please enlighten this new traveler. :)
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 11:31:20 am »

September is not that busy, so you won't have any problems with purchasing tickets couple days in advance. Tickets in connection Budapest-Krakow start from 39 euro (50 USD) for 6 berth couchette, 45 euro (57 USD) for 3 bed sleeper, 49 euro (62 USD) for double sleeper. But those are discounted, thus limited in number. If you are lucky enough you can get one of those, if not - you will need to pay regular full fare - 75 euro (95 USD) for the ticket + you need sleeper reservation 9.4 euro (12 USD) for 6 berth couchette, 14 euro (18 USD) for 3 bed sleeper, 21 euro (26 USD) for double sleeper.
As you can see, the very maximum ticket+sleeper reservation bought in Budapest will cost you 95+26=121 USD, minimum - from 50 USD for berth or 57 USD for sleeper.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
cykler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 07:46:36 pm »

Excellent - I appreciate your response.

Another question - will I only be able to buy this ticket/reservation at the Keleti station in Budapest or will be I be able to purchase the trip prior in Athens, Greece at the Proastiako/Larissa station?

Thanks again!

tUt
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 08:27:01 pm »

will I only be able to buy this ticket/reservation at the Keleti station in Budapest or will be I be able to purchase the trip prior in Athens, Greece at the Proastiako/Larissa station?
Unfortunately for you, but you won't be able to buy tickets in Greece. There were reports that in Athens it is even problem to buy international tickets from Thessaloniki, not saying about tickets from Budapest to Poland.
So the best thing to do is to visit any train station in Budapest (Keleti, Nyugati, Deli) or MAV ticket office at Deak Ferenc ter.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
cykler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 04:40:16 am »

I also need assistance for the next portion of my journey.

Overnight from Krakow Glowny to Praha Hln.  The times are approx 22:11 => 6:51.

Like before, I'd like a double/triple sleeper compartment and would prefer to purchase in advance.  RailEurope.com offers the ticket at $173 for a double. 

What are the local prices?  Can I purchase this trip at Budapest Keleti?

Thanks again.   
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 10:53:20 am »

Full fare Krakow-Praha bought in Poland or Czech Republic is 36.8 euro (46 USD) + sleeper 20 euro(25 USD) for triple/30 euro(38 USD) for double. As you can see, agency quote is even worth than Budapest-Krakow 173 USD vs. app. 94 USD (if bought in Krakow).

You can buy Krakow-Praha ticket in Budapest, but the fare will be higher (around +40%). Regarding sleeper reservation you might experience some problems - chances depend on whether ticket counter will have access to one of the international reservation systems.
But you might try, especially in Wasteels office at Keleti Station (on you right, when you enter through main entrance)
cykler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 08:04:15 pm »

When I purchase these tickets, will the office accepted credit card or is payment expected in cash?

If so, will it need to be in forint in Bud and zloty in Krakow?  Are euros accepted?

Thanks again.
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 09:26:08 pm »

When I purchase these tickets, will the office accepted credit card or is payment expected in cash?
Wasteels agency accept cards (ticket fare is the same), for regular international ticket counter it is better to have cash, last time we visited Budapest cashiers didn't accept cards, only cash.
If so, will it need to be in forint in Bud and zloty in Krakow?  Are euros accepted?
Ticket tariff itself is set in euro, but ticket counters in Budapest accept only forints, in Krakow- zloty. Both Poland and Hungary aren't in Euro zone, so it is their national currencies in official use.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines