Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:31:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Cheapest way from Budapest to Kyiv (and back)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cheapest way from Budapest to Kyiv (and back)  (Read 14465 times)
OCCASVS

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2010, 08:26:43 pm »

Hello.
I'm looking for the cheapest way to reach Kyiv from Bari (Italy).

The first part of the trip would be done by plane: Bari -> Budapest (Wizzair).

Then, I guess the most convenient way to reach Kyiv is via Záhony -> Chop.
But what's the cheapest way to do so?

Budapest -> Chop (return ticket) ; what's the price?
Chop -> Kyiv (3rd class ticket) ; I already know how to get the price from e-kvytok.
Or should I split the ticket: Budapest -> Záhony (return ticket) + Záhony -> Chop (return ticket)?

Or maybe buses from Hungary to an Ukrainian border city are cheaper?

Thank you for your help!
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 09:37:02 pm »

Hi,

In case of Bari-Ukraine you might consider as well planes to Poland (or even Romania). Another air option is directly to Ukraine, since there are a lot of ukrainians work in Italy, thus you can find quite a number of regular and charter flights to Lviv and less so to Kyiv. Fares are rather high, but in some cases you might find a good deal (same applies to CarpatAir flights to Ukraine via Timisoara and WizzAir Treviso-Kiev)

In case of train option from Budapest, then obviously Zahony-Chop-Kyiv is simplest and cheapest way. Budapest -> Chop (return ticket) - around 37-38 euro and better not to split (Budapest -> Záhony + Záhony -> Chop), because after MAV raised domestic fares it is cheaper to buy one direct international ticket.
Bus connections in that are are extremely bad, besides daily Nyíregyháza-Uzghorod (arrives to Uzghorod around 6pm) and Vienna-Budapest-Kiev once or twice per week there is nothing else.

Do you really want to take 3rd class (known as 'platskart')? It might be not the best option for the foreigner, unless you are experienced one  ;)

Another interesting, but more expensive rail option is CityStar Slovakia-Ukraine. Definitely more comfort, so you can consider it as well.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
OCCASVS

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 10:34:14 pm »

Hi,

In case of Bari-Ukraine you might consider as well planes to Poland (or even Romania). Another air option is directly to Ukraine, since there are a lot of ukrainians work in Italy, thus you can find quite a number of regular and charter flights to Lviv and less so to Kyiv. Fares are rather high, but in some cases you might find a good deal (same applies to CarpatAir flights to Ukraine via Timisoara and WizzAir Treviso-Kiev)
Ideally, the best solution would be Bari -> Treviso with a Ryanair discounted ticket (even if they were much easier to get before 2010), and Treviso -> Kyiv Boryspil' with Wizzair (the best price seems to be 35€).

With this combination, I may pay around 90€ round-trip. I'm sure I can't get a 100€ Bari - Kyiv return plane ticket with other airlines  ;)

In case of train option from Budapest, then obviously Zahony-Chop-Kyiv is simplest and cheapest way. Budapest -> Chop (return ticket) - around 37-38 euro and better not to split (Budapest -> Záhony + Záhony -> Chop), because after MAV raised domestic fares it is cheaper to buy one direct international ticket.
Bus connections in that are are extremely bad, besides daily Nyíregyháza-Uzghorod (arrives to Uzghorod around 6pm) and Vienna-Budapest-Kiev once or twice per week there is nothing else.
Ah, good, exactly what I wanted to know!  And is this train with a seat reservation? I guess it's a Hungarian wagon?

Do you really want to take 3rd class (known as 'platskart')? It might be not the best option for the foreigner, unless you are experienced one  ;)
Of course! ;) This spring I've travelled in Ukraine with platskart, elektrichka and marshrutka, and I really liked the 3rd class. Much better than Italian overnight 'espresso' trains with a seater place.

Another interesting, but more expensive rail option is CityStar Slovakia-Ukraine. Definitely more comfort, so you can consider it as well.
Then I'd discard it, since it's more expensive. I'm really on a tight budget, so the cheapest option is automatically the best.

Thank you very much for the reply :)
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 12:20:14 am »

I'm sure I can't get a 100€ Bari - Kyiv return plane ticket with other airlines
You are probably right, if we are talking about standard non low-cost airlines. In order to say more about low-cost airlines options some needs +/- exact dates of travel.
And is this train with a seat reservation? I guess it's a Hungarian wagon?
No, it is just ticket. If you want to use Hungarian InterCity train, then you will need to buy seat reservation (app. 2 euro) separately, but you can always use regular trains and don't pay anything extra. And yes, on the route Budapest-Zahony-Chop all the carriages (besides sleeping ones in "Tisza" #15 train) are Hungarian (MAV).
and I really liked the 3rd class. Much better than Italian overnight 'espresso' trains with a seater place.
especially ticket fare  ;)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
OCCASVS

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 12:51:29 am »

I'm sure I can't get a 100€ Bari - Kyiv return plane ticket with other airlines
You are probably right, if we are talking about standard non low-cost airlines. In order to say more about low-cost airlines options some needs +/- exact dates of travel.
You're right. And the most important thing is to wait for the right offer!

And is this train with a seat reservation? I guess it's a Hungarian wagon?
No, it is just ticket. If you want to use Hungarian InterCity train, then you will need to buy seat reservation (app. 2 euro) separately, but you can always use regular trains and don't pay anything extra. And yes, on the route Budapest-Zahony-Chop all the carriages (besides sleeping ones in "Tisza" #15 train) are Hungarian (MAV).
Everything makes sense now! And in your first post you wrote that it costs 37-38€ round-trip. Shouldn't it be exactly half that? Doesn't a 50% reduction apply?

and I really liked the 3rd class. Much better than Italian overnight 'espresso' trains with a seater place.
especially ticket fare  ;)
;) And I know that Ukrainian students can get a 50% discount! That's even more wonderful :D
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 01:29:38 am »

Everything makes sense now! And in your first post you wrote that it costs 37-38€ round-trip. Shouldn't it be exactly half that? Doesn't a 50% reduction apply?
It is already fare with discount from standard East-West tariff, so it is final quote. If you intend to purchase this ticket anywhere else - you will pay twice as much. The only cheaper option - hitchhiking.
And I know that Ukrainian students can get a 50% discount! That's even more wonderful
But unfortunately ISIC doens't work, only Ukrainian student cards.
OCCASVS

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 02:51:11 pm »

It is already fare with discount from standard East-West tariff, so it is final quote. If you intend to purchase this ticket anywhere else - you will pay twice as much. The only cheaper option - hitchhiking.
I see. Thank you!

And I know that Ukrainian students can get a 50% discount! That's even more wonderful
But unfortunately ISIC doens't work, only Ukrainian student cards.
Unfortunately  :(

Thank you very much for the help!
S77rrrdar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 07:16:07 pm »

I want to get to muckachevo Ukraine from Budapest, should I by the train ticket online, and if so, where?

thx
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 07:32:56 pm »

...should I by the train ticket online, and if so, where
Unfortunately, but Hungarian railways (MAV) doesn't sell international tickets to Ukraine online. Thus if you plan to use direct carriages from Budapest to Mukachevo, then you will have to purchase sleeper reservation already in Hungary. As a rule, there is always will be at least few free seat in either of carriages going to Kyiv or Moscow (all of them go via Mukachevo), so no need to worry.
Plus in all the cross border trains to Chop you can ride without seat reservation, so even if you somehow didn't get sleeper reservation for "Tisza's" direct carriages, then you can always go to Chop in Hungarian seating carriage and change there for multiple UZ domestic trains to Mukachevo.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines