Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:37:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Travel plans, routes and timetables  |  Bratislava to Vienna
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bratislava to Vienna  (Read 6762 times)
warlord

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2010, 11:08:58 pm »

I will be trying to buy a ticket from Bratislava (Hlavná  Stanica) to Südbahnhof station in Vienna.  My question is since I won't have a good phrase book for Slovakian, how easy will it be to get my ticket?

I'll be either leaving on the 9:51 train or the 10:34 train on a Saturday morning.  Will the ticket I buy be like in Budapest where the ticket is good for any train?  Or will it be good for a specific train only?  Also can you buy tickets in Bratislava by credit card?

I am planning on trying to write down my request (using some of the Slovak book I have) and mentioning the time and the train (Os 9519, REX 9519) etc.  Should I say or write (Vienna) or should I be using (Wein)?

I take it Hlavá isn't that big a station, so is it easy to navigate at all?

Thanks...
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 11:27:02 pm »

If you want to write it down in advance, then it is better to use "Bratislava - Viedeň", so it will be fully in Slovak. But generally saying your route is simple and cashiers in Bratislava issue hundreds of such tickets every day, so they will easily understand if you just say it in English without piece of paper.
Tickets in connection to Vienna issued not for a specific train, but for any train during the validity of the ticket (30 days). You can as well buy special ticket that can be used as one day pass for Vienna City transport, it cost 14.6 euro instead of regular 11 euro.
Main train station in Bratislava isn't that big, ticket counters are on the first floor in the main hall, closer to the first platform. Most ticket counters accept credit cards.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
AlexWB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 12:31:02 am »

As tUt says, you should have no problem with the language... I always use the term Vienna and I am always understood, but the Slovak or the Austrian will all do...

2 Points to note. If you go to Hlavna Stanica, make sure you follow tUt's advice and go to the counter nearest the platform (you have to go up 3 or 4 small steps)... the first ones you see are for domestic tickets only.

Second, the 10.34 train leaves from Bratislava Petrzalka station - make sure you go to the correct station! :)

Also, the counters have a sign which states that you must tell them you'll use a credit card before you ask for your ticket - I always follow this advice, because you never know...
warlord

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 03:04:52 pm »

Ahhh great thanks guys for the good advice.  I have noticed the train times have varied over the past month, so will just get to the station and hopefully a train will be coming by soon (seems every hour or 2 one comes through)...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines