Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:53:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Travel plans, routes and timetables  |  Prague - Switzerland - Italy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prague - Switzerland - Italy  (Read 5528 times)
Europe10

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2010, 05:52:35 am »

Could you please advise the best way to go from Prague to Switzerland.
Then tour all around Switzerland by train ( I need to go to Lucarno as well) and then go to the Italian Lakes, then Venice then Florence then Rome.
I know thats a lot of information to ask for but anything I get will help a lot --- we do not have any transport beside our own cars where we live, so the trains will be an adventure for the 2 of us.
I have been reading your information about the TCV tickets -- if I was to use those tickets from Prague to Switzerland then into Italy would I have to purchase the tickets in Budapest first?
Thank you.
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 03:34:02 pm »

Cheapest way to get from Prague to Switzerland is to use overnight CNL train to Basel SBB. Tickets start from 29 euro (if purchased in advance from DB website - http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?newrequest=yes&protocol=http:&). There is as well daytime train from Prague to Zurich (seats from 29 euro), but such discounted tickets need to be purchased at the station in advance.

For Swiss domestic travels it really depends on your exact route and preferences. For example, if you plan the trip any time soon (before September 5) you still can enjoy discounted SuperSaver tickets. SBB might as well prolong SuperSaver tickets sale for some time in autumn and winter. Other option is TCV ticket, it is especially good if you plan many stops in Switzerland and you are exactly sure about the route planed. So it will be better if you can elaborate more on your preferences, thus we can advice you specifically for your choice of the route, timing and number of stops on the way.

A little bit similar story with Italy, if you plan to travel just between Swiss border - Venice - Florence and Rome, then you might simply purchase discounted tickets from TrenItalia website in advance (percentage of discount depends on how in advance you purchase). In case of multiple stops on the way you can use TCV ticket or travel by regional trains (those are slower, but you don't need to pay 10-15 euro for compulsory seat reservations on each leg for fast trains).   
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines